About Us‎ > ‎

History

posted Apr 25, 2012, 5:08 AM by Randal Tyner   [ updated Mar 14, 2016, 9:42 AM by Secretary BRPC ]

Founded in 1850 by the rugged Scots who immigrated to Queensbury from the borderlands of southern Scotland, the Kirk (Church) on the public highway (Bay Road) was built in 1853 and was known as the Associate Congregation of Queensbury. 

After a closure of about eight years around the Civil War, the Reverend James Lamb reopened the church in 1869. Becoming part of mainstream Presbyterianism the church was admitted to the Troy Presbytery (regional governing body) and was renamed Bay Road Presbyterian Church. 

From 1921-1953, Bay Road church was part of the Larger Parish; a group of five churches who shared a pastor and many social activities. For the next thirty years Bay Road Church remained small, sometimes on the verge of closing, but always rebounding and remaining faithful. 

1981 marked the beginning of a new era for the Bay Road Church. The Reverend Richard S. Bird became pastor of the church and in 1983 was installed as the Church’s first ever, full time pastor. Under his leadership the church grew in a few years, from a small rural church with 15 members to a church supporting more members and mission. 

After Pastor Bird's retirement, the church has had several pastoral relationships, each bringing their own gifts to our congregation such as biblical studies, administration and organization, and a "missional" focus.

Today, the Bay Road Church continues to serve as the hands and feet of Christ in this broken world.  Over the past 12 years, the church has been  led to become more active in hands-on mission and outreach work: sending a mission trip to Malawi, Africa in support of an orphanage run by mission partners; leading annual mission trips with over 150 people from the larger community to assist with Hurricane Relief in the Gulf Coast and other disaster-hit areas; performing local building projects for elderly, infirm,  or "at risk" individuals, providing food to the hungry through produce from our community garden and food pantry donations, serving at our local soup  kitchen, and organizing prayer and bible study groups at local  prisons.  In 2015, six members of our congregation spent a week in Jeremie, Haiti building bridges with the people of Haiti - visiting with orphans and the children attending the Haiti Mission School in LaBastille.  The team made another trip in February of 2016, and will continue to develop connections and serve the people of Haiti as they return each year.  

If you'd like to join us in our efforts to Know, Live, and Share Christ, come be part of the history we are writing each and every day.